Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My Value Proposition

What am I doing here?

There are dozens if not hundreds of VC blogs out there.  Most in this group are very strong and fairly detailed.  In fact, when I meet with entrepreneurs, I often refer them to four or five as reference material.  The blogs and the information now at everyone’s disposal has really been game changing in many ways.  Entrepreneurs can have a glimpse behind the curtain to gain significant insight into how we think.  I will avoid making any value judgments here; just pointing out the evolving reality.  The point is many of these blogs are very detailed. For example it is very easy to find a detailed exposition of the Venture Capital Method of valuation, key elements of your pitch deck, option pools etc. 


So, with all of that information available (a fairly complete catalogue, really) I see very little point in going deep on any singular topic.  Why add to the redundancy?  Rather, I see this blog as more of an observation platform.  If I have a meeting with an entrepreneur and a theme emerges, I may decide to speak to the topic on this blog- exhibit A the PA Trip, exhibit B, Peak Pitch.  If I have a conversation with one of my VC friends about raising money, I may touch on the topic in a post.  If I’m screwing around on Facebook and begin to think through the history of social networking, I may (and did) do a post.  I’ll leave the heavy lifting to the experts.

No comments:

Post a Comment