Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Never the Twain......

I have been beyond remiss in my attentiveness related to the upkeep of this blog. The last few months have been absolutely bonkers. In the midst of making a move to Florida I landed an offer that I readily accepted. I now serve as the Director of Strategic Investments for an Albany-based real estate development firm.

Strategic Investments.... Sort of has a ring to it. Where have I heard that phrase recently? The answer to that question of course is everywhere. VCs and private investors alike are positioning themselves as strategic investors. Doesn't that strike you as a bit strange? The VC mandate traditionally is to seek financial positions and returns; a mandate quite antithetical to that of the strategic investor. The strategic investor seeks to deploy capital into companies and technologies that fit within the core mission of the firm. For example, perhaps the company has developed a technology that integrates nicely into the platform of the investing company. Or a company may invest in another that sits in it's supply chain, distribution channel or customer base. Historically you have had institutional investors on one side and strategic investors on the other and never the twain shall meet. Well, it appears they have met...... thankfully for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment